Cute Knight Kingdom

Discussion of English translated bishoujo games released by Peach Princess, G-Collections and other companies.

Cute Knight Kingdom

Postby papillon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:37 pm

The latest in my series of vaguely-Princess-Maker inspired games is released! And I can say 'vaguely' now, because if you look, it's pretty different... No longer are you standing in one room staring at the walls all the time, but walking around chatting people up JRPG-style. Also, the 'jobs' themselves are a little more active, and you can make choices about how hard to push yourself for success.

There are dozens of endings, spells to collect, recipes to cook and craft, various marriage options and secret character paths to find, and even a pair of twins. But, as I am evil, you cannot twincest them. You can only get an ending with one twin at a time. Unless you can organise enough customers to ask for an ending with both twins, and then I will write one and add it as a free update. :)

http://www.hanakogames.com/ckk.shtml

(now, back to my evil schemes and the otome game I'm working on...)
papillon
OTAKU!

Re: Cute Knight Kingdom

Postby Lancer-X » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:40 am

Roughly how is the game proportioned between the story and sim elements? I'm not super interested in the latter but I'd be willing to go through a bit of the latter to get at the former, especially if the sim elements are fun.

EDIT: I had a play of the demo and it doesn't seem too bad. I'll give it more of a look later when I've got time. Question though; would I be able to move my saved character from the demo to the full game?
嗚呼、素晴らしきエロゲー世界
Latest review: 創世奇譚アエリアル
Lancer-X
OTAKU!

Postby papillon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:43 am

Roughly how is the game proportioned between the story and sim elements? I'm not super interested in the latter but I'd be willing to go through a bit of the latter to get at the former, especially if the sim elements are fun.

It's all intermingled, you'll often have events with characters after completing a job, and other times a new chat topic will unlock after your stats get high enough or you've done some other task.

Question though; would I be able to move my saved character from the demo to the full game?

Yes, but you'll have to manually copy your saves from the demo subdirectory to the one for the full game. Which shouldn't be difficult unless you're using Vista and it's hiding the directories from you to be 'helpful'.
papillon
OTAKU!

Postby asdu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:43 pm

papillon wrote:The latest in my series of vaguely-Princess-Maker inspired games is released! And I can say 'vaguely' now, because if you look, it's pretty different... No longer are you standing in one room staring at the walls all the time, but walking around chatting people up JRPG-style. Also, the 'jobs' themselves are a little more active, and you can make choices about how hard to push yourself for success.

There are dozens of endings, spells to collect, recipes to cook and craft, various marriage options and secret character paths to find, and even a pair of twins. But, as I am evil, you cannot twincest them. You can only get an ending with one twin at a time. Unless you can organise enough customers to ask for an ending with both twins, and then I will write one and add it as a free update. :)

http://www.hanakogames.com/ckk.shtml

(now, back to my evil schemes and the otome game I'm working on...)

haha im gonna try the demo :D
asdu
Intermediate Member

Postby Jinnai » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 pm

papillon wrote:There are dozens of endings, spells to collect, recipes to cook and craft, various marriage options and secret character paths to find, and even a pair of twins. But, as I am evil, you cannot twincest them. You can only get an ending with one twin at a time. Unless you can organise enough customers to ask for an ending with both twins, and then I will write one and add it as a free update. :)
As I'll be getting this, I will demand such! No one should be screwed out of twins!
Jinnai
OTAKU!

Postby equatorean » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 am

Now this is what I have been expecting from gaming companies. I'll download the demo soon.

About the ending, will there be a harem ending available?
equatorean
Intermediate Member

Postby papillon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

No harems at the moment, no.

I'm expecting that, given time, people will come up with things they think really should be endings. The most obvious to me are the both-twins ending and marrying the boy who is not currently marriageable because he has a girlfriend, but there may be others. I'll collect the requests that are either most popular or most cool in my eyes. :)
papillon
OTAKU!

Postby Insanity » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:52 am

I think I liked the original Cute Knight better. You move way too slowly in this version and the graphics are very cheesy compared to the original. (it doesn't really look like something that is worth $20 for a DL) If you could fix this in a remake, then I would definitely consider buying this.

Stuff I would like in an updated version:

-Yuri endings (unless it's already there)
-Yandere: I know this is a kid's game, but you could still add an ending that's a little dark. :P
-Some weird, out of nowhere conclusion: The cute knight getting a sex change; finding out at the end that everything is a dream; ending where you join the Hanako games staff; etc. :wink:

I am a huge fan of Fatal Hearts though. That's probably the best OE visual novel I've ever played. You need to make more games like that. :D
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby papillon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:28 am

Ehhh, I think you have been struck blind if you think my horrible drawn-by-me-in-paint-shop scribbles and flat red bars from the first game are better graphics than professional watercolors. :) Tastes vary, of course, and people like diferent things. I was going for an illustrated children's storybook feeling when I hired people for this game, rather than an epic anime fantasy. But there's probably about as much chance of a new graphics remake of this as there is of one for Family Project. (OTOH if you hang around my forums, I run contests and discounts occasionally.)

There is at least one ending with another girl; saying more would be spoilers.
There is a Bad Ending, but I don't think you can call it yandere. But unless you play it you won't find out!

I do have another visual novel in the development queue, but they take time!
papillon
OTAKU!

Postby Insanity » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 am

I just replayed both Cute Knights demos to confirm, and I really do like the original's graphics better. Some of the expressions in the original were a little weird (like the drawing on the right in this screen: http://www.hanakogames.com/ckdss1.jpg), but I liked most of the original's graphics. The new Cute Knights just looks too... Americanized to me. (I know this is an English game, but still :P) There are three different styles going on in the product page (http://www.hanakogames.com/ckk.shtml), while I think it should stick to only one. (preferably, something closer to the cute graphics in the original) My biggest problem is how tedious it is to move around now. What made the original so addicting (I replayed the demo multiple times!) was that you could move where you want quickly. I like the feature of being able to manually control your character, but it gets too tedious. It would be a lot better if I could change the speed of how fast I walk by double clicking or going into the settings.
I really still need to order the original Cute Knights when money becomes less of a problem...

Props for the GxG ending though. I want it more now. You should add a gay male character(s) in the new VN. (even if they are just side characters) That would be interesting to see.
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby Jinnai » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 am

papillon wrote:No harems at the moment, no.

I'm expecting that, given time, people will come up with things they think really should be endings. The most obvious to me are the both-twins ending and marrying the boy who is not currently marriageable because he has a girlfriend, but there may be others. I'll collect the requests that are either most popular or most cool in my eyes. :)

I'll have to try for various endings; i know my friend might be more inclined if there are more joke endings or bad endings as well as some new good ones.
Jinnai
OTAKU!

Postby Insanity » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 am

Jinnai wrote:

I'll have to try for various endings; i know my friend might be more inclined if there are more joke endings or bad endings as well as some new good ones.

I agree with that. I love endings in visual novels where you can suddenly end the game for making a really stupid choice and then end up with a weird ending. Maybe some of these editions could be added into a Cute Knight Kingdom Deluxe.
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby papillon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Art consistency is always a problem for me, as I like to make somewhat ambitious games and I have very limited budget, so I always end up having to get multiple artists to get things done on time and not costing me tens of thousands. :)

I may implement a speed option at some point, but remember, if you go faster, the monsters will go faster too... for many people that could get quite awkward to control!

(And there are gay male side characters in CKK... as far as the VN goes, I'm not saying!)
papillon
OTAKU!

Postby Insanity » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:16 pm

It's mostly a problem for me when walking around in a town or "safe zone". I don't care about the speed as much when traveling across the map since there is less reason to relax. (that's not to say that I don't think a speed update should still be incorporated into the map though)

Now, it's looking more interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up once there is a sale and a speed option is in place. :wink:
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby Neko Hibiki » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:36 am

Vote for both twins ending.

Vote for marry boyfriend ending.

Vote for marry boyfriend and his girlfriend.^_^
---

Signature

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!
Neko Hibiki

Postby Jinnai » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:31 am

Neko Hibiki wrote:Vote for marry boyfriend and his girlfriend.^_^
is their a lesbian ending in CKK? or a genderswap (+ gf) ending?
Jinnai
OTAKU!

Postby Nargrakhan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:09 am

papillon wrote:But, as I am evil, you cannot twincest them. You can only get an ending with one twin at a time. Unless you can organise enough customers to ask for an ending with both twins, and then I will write one and add it as a free update. :)

Yes. You are VERY evil for that. :P

I could just flood your mailbox from multiple google, hotmail, yahoo, and whatever else free email I can find. Compulsive obsession for twincest will do that. :wink:
Fact: Twincest is Best!!
Addendum: Triplets are Better!!!
Corollary: A man's got to know his limitations.
Statement: Add yandere for excitement.
Nargrakhan
OTAKU!

Postby Insanity » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 am

Just think how many more games papilon would sell if she included twincest in every title. I'm sure Narg would suddenly became a huge fan of Hanako Games. :lol:
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby equatorean » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:27 am

Just finished playing the demo, it is quite cool (although I had to redraw my perspective about the game, my mind was full of Brave Soul back then), still I agree with Insanity about the graphic 'too Americanized' :). I am considering of purchasing the title but first, how large is the game? I need to calculate internet expense. Thank you for the enlightenment.
equatorean
Intermediate Member

Postby Insanity » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:20 am

Papillon should just draw everything in paint for CK3 like she did for the first game. It would look a lot better and save tons of money. :D
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby papillon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Jinnai wrote:
Neko Hibiki wrote:Vote for marry boyfriend and his girlfriend.^_^
is their a lesbian ending in CKK? or a genderswap (+ gf) ending?

Spoilers that you really shouldn't be peeking at!

There is one very clearly lesbian ending, which is somewhat hard to reach.
There is one ending which is slightly suggestive of shoujo-ai but very coy. You can read it however you want.
There is one ending which is ambiguous in more ways than one because it involves a genderqueer character (not the PC)
There are not any endings in which the PC becomes male. That's an interesting possibility, though...
papillon
OTAKU!

Postby Neko Hibiki » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Insanity wrote:Papillon should just draw everything in paint for CK3 like she did for the first game. It would look a lot better and save tons of money. :D

I hope she does that.

The first game looked better, well, cuter is the word I would use for the characters in it then, a very anime feel.

The second game, Deluxe Version, had some pics that didn't look as cute as the original's did, and some that looked better then.

The one where she got adopted into the mage family looked cuter in the original. So did the one where she and the librarian hooked up together then. Lisa the librarian looks muuuch cuter in the original.

Some of them look much cuter in the original.

Some of them look just plain weird.

Banker for example. Where she's dressed in the suit and holding the eyeglasses too. Looks like she's an alien.

And one of the church ones too, the one where she's holding the giant cross. Her eyes are shaped weird. The others look fine to me though.

Some of the Deluxe Version pics are good too. I replaced some of the pics of endings I unlocked with ones from the original. And I replaced some of the original with deluxe version. All in all, the original looks cuter though now.
---

Signature

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!
Neko Hibiki

Postby papillon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:35 am

Not likely. Most customers prefer art not drawn by me. :)

If you want to see MY art, you must become a sufficiently trusted customer to get access to early alpha tests, when everything is drawn by me by default. (You can still see my original design for the PC on my deviantart account, but the rest of it, only the secret cabal ever saw.)
papillon
OTAKU!

Postby Insanity » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 am

papillon wrote:Not likely. Most customers prefer art not drawn by me. :)

Have you ever made a poll for customers on what artstyle they like best? Your art might actually win. :P I CAN'T STAND the art in Heileen.
Insanity
Intermediate Member

Postby Jinnai » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:53 am

papillon wrote:There are not any endings in which the PC becomes male. That's an interesting possibility, though...

Beyond being able to pursue both twins,you need several related endings, ie different tiers based on your stats/key events.
Jinnai
OTAKU!

Return to English Bishoujo Game Discussions