School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Discussion of English translated bishoujo games released by Peach Princess, G-Collections and other companies.

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Russo_Turisto » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 pm

TDOMMX wrote:
Russo_Turisto wrote:
TDOMMX wrote:You're going to have to back that up without resorting to blame-the-victim mentality or contradicting yourself.

I'd have to back it up if it were an objective judgement of character, or if I were trying to pass it off for such. Those are my subjective feelings, I don't have to back them up with anything, really. :) It's my own sympathy we're talking about, and Kotonoha gets none of it.

Your exact words were: "Good god, is there anyone in School Days who deserves any sort of sympathy except maybe Setsuna?". You said "any sort of sympathy", not "my sympathy", so your statement was hardly subjective. You've just contradicted yourself there.

No, I absolutely did not contradict myself. If my initial statement read "Nobody in School Days deserves any sort of sympathy except maybe Setsuna!", then it would be a contradiction to what I said further. But that was a question. I couldn't possibly ask if you or anyone else thinks that some characters deserve MY sympathy, because that would be simply ridiculous. I voiced my opinion and got other opinions going, which is a good thing, and it's been quite an enjoyable read.

I see where you're coming from in defence of Kotonoha, and I admit that what she had to endure was relatively hard, but I simply cannot feel sympathy for her, because the inability to face the real world and at least try to deal with your problems is something I feel very strongly about, and Kotonoha never really makes any attempt to do so, continuing to live in her own little dream world until the bitter end. This is not something I can get behind. Setsuna makes mistakes, acts somewhat selfishly and generally makes a poor judgment, but at least she DOES something. She tries. She falls and gets up. Kotonoha keeps on dreaming of knights on white horses.
User avatar
Russo_Turisto
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby TDOMMX » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:38 am

Russo_Turisto wrote:No, I absolutely did not contradict myself. If my initial statement read "Nobody in School Days deserves any sort of sympathy except maybe Setsuna!", then it would be a contradiction to what I said further. But that was a question. I couldn't possibly ask if you or anyone else thinks that some characters deserve MY sympathy, because that would be simply ridiculous. I voiced my opinion and got other opinions going, which is a good thing, and it's been quite an enjoyable read.

Fair enough. I can agree with that.

Russo_Turisto wrote:I see where you're coming from in defence of Kotonoha, and I admit that what she had to endure was relatively hard, but I simply cannot feel sympathy for her, because the inability to face the real world and at least try to deal with your problems is something I feel very strongly about, and Kotonoha never really makes any attempt to do so, continuing to live in her own little dream world until the bitter end. This is not something I can get behind. Setsuna makes mistakes, acts somewhat selfishly and generally makes a poor judgment, but at least she DOES something. She tries. She falls and gets up. Kotonoha keeps on dreaming of knights on white horses.

I won't deny that Kotonoha has serious issues accepting reality; this is symptomatic of her deteriorating mental state. However, saying that she doesn't actually do anything is a disservice to her character; she was fully prepared to dump Makoto until Sekai convinced her to give him another chance, and she repeatedly tried to stand up to the bullies that had been tormenting her for years. The latter backfired horribly and only led to the bullying getting worse, but she tried to stand up for herself despite being grossly outnumbered. Let's not forget that she confronted and slapped Sekai when she caught her leaving one of her and Makoto's trysts, and she threatened to reveal Setsuna's antics to Sekai (...Setsuna's preemptive counterattack irreparably wounded Kotonoha's psyche).

The only thing Kotonoha really should have done but didn't was confront Makoto about his infidelity; even if she couldn't convince him to change his ways, at least her mind would have been spared. That, again, was all because she had faith in someone who didn't deserve it. Her delusions only began after her mental strength was giving out - note that idealization and fantasy are documented mental self-defense mechanisms and symptoms of mental disorders (link 1) (link 2).

I thought I told you not to resort to blame-the-victim tactics. We are shown throughout the series that both Kotonoha and Sekai are mentally ill; you're blaming Kotonoha for a tell-tale symptom of her mental condition. Also, one of the reasons being bullied is so frustrating is that you feel helpless, like there's nothing you can do about it (I speak from experience). Kotonoha tried to stand up to Otome's gang, Sekai, and even Setsuna; most bullying victims would have simply given up and taken the abuse. That takes some serious guts, and I won't let you claim otherwise.

On a tangentially-related note, I approve of the new "Nice Boat" ending specifically because it remained consistent with the deterioration of Kotonoha's mental health; the producers could have easily gone for a source-material triple-whammy by having her commit suicide as she did in the game, but that wouldn't have been consistent with her relative sanity at that point in the story. The anime-original ending is much more appropriate (denying both Sekai's pregnancy and Makoto's death, confirming that her idealization degraded into full-blown fantasy).

Also, to be fair, Setsuna and Sekai both have their own problems with accepting reality: Sekai hopes in vain that Makoto will remain faithful to her even after she sees him and Otome together on videotape, while Setsuna foolishly believes that offering her body to Makoto might actually convince him to keep it in his pants for Sekai's sake, her lampshaded ulterior motives notwithstanding. Like I said before, I tip my hat to Otome for realizing that the nice guy she originally fell for and the philandering horndog she gave her virginity to are two very different people. I don't like her for her antics throughout most of the series, but I have a small shred of respect for her for wising up in the end.
This is TDOMMX signing out.
User avatar
TDOMMX
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Darkside Translations

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Russo_Turisto » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:06 am

I honestly agree with most of the things you said. To be fair, I'd be more willing to sympathize with Kotonoha if she were previously homeschooled, sheltered and/or otherwise disconnected from the harsh realities of life up until the beginning of the game. I may have missed something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The comparison of Setsuna and Kotonoha is especially interesting in the context of bullying. Setsuna developed feelings for Makoto after he protected her from bullying and encouraged her to be strong. Kotonoha did not have that "luxury", but whether she'd be able to learn and grow stronger in similar situation is anyone's guess.
User avatar
Russo_Turisto
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby TDOMMX » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Russo_Turisto wrote:I honestly agree with most of the things you said. To be fair, I'd be more willing to sympathize with Kotonoha if she were previously homeschooled, sheltered and/or otherwise disconnected from the harsh realities of life up until the beginning of the game. I may have missed something, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

We know for a fact that Kotonoha is a sheltered rich girl - her family is loaded, their house is huge and they even have their own a private yacht - and that her body is frail (she can't take part in phys. ed. for this exact reason). We also know that, because her figure filled out early, her male classmates teased her relentlessly and her female classmates scorned her; she never had any friends. Otome and her posse pick on her specifically because they're jealous of her looks and resent the "good girl" image she presents, thinking it to be a facade to attract guys. Because she actually is a good girl and because she's naive enough to believe the excuses they make for pushing their work onto her, she endures the abuse. Every time she tries to assert herself - for instance, when she asks for help organizing their class project for the festival - everyone refuses to lend her a hand, citing that she's the Class President and it's her responsibility (I don't think it's a stretch to assume that she's been forced into accepting that role time and time again).

We also know that Kotonoha owns quite the collection of romance novels; her only exposure to men is the leers of her classmates and the idealized nice guys in her novels (and her father, who we strangely don't know a thing about in the anime). Sekai's meddling somehow manages to convince her that Makoto deserves to be placed in the latter camp, which Kotonoha might have believed specifically because she wanted someone to be there to support her (the exact reason why Setsuna and Otome fall for him). Note that her confidence gets a substantial boost once she and Makoto become an item, prompting her to start to fight back against the bullying. That confidence sharply wanes as it becomes more and more clear that Makoto doesn't respect her.

Russo_Turisto wrote:The comparison of Setsuna and Kotonoha is especially interesting in the context of bullying. Setsuna developed feelings for Makoto after he protected her from bullying and encouraged her to be strong. Kotonoha did not have that "luxury", but whether she'd be able to learn and grow stronger in similar situation is anyone's guess.

This is one of the reasons why I'd really like to see the original version of events (or, rather, the original possible outcomes). The anime specifically follows the path to the more "interesting" plot points and endings. We've only seen how Kotonoha develops when she is betrayed by the people she trusts and that betrayal actually feeds the bullying; we don't see what would happen if she actually had the support she desperately needed (on that note, I'd like to point out that we never see any adults in the School Days anime - at most, we hear a teacher's disembodied voice yelling at Makoto and Sekai for acting up in class). We do know that Kotonoha realizes she needs to become stronger - Summer Days shows us that she has taken up swordsmanship at some point (which, given the form with which she reacts to Sekai's "surprise" attack, is canon in the anime as well) - but we don't know any more than that...
This is TDOMMX signing out.
User avatar
TDOMMX
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Darkside Translations

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Makoto » Wed May 02, 2012 1:09 am

I know people have been waiting for details on the special Collector's Edition of School Days. The formal announcement will have to wait until we have physical samples of all the items, but here's a preview.

The first bonus item will be an original Kotonoha oppai mousepad with art drawn by School Days character designer Goto Junji. Here's the art, cut for the mousepad.

Image

The second will be an original rubber keychain. The design has yet to be finalized, but we are confident that fans of the School Days anime will appreciate it.

These two items will come together with the DVD case in a Collector's Edition box. The final price of the set is still to be determined. If you have any questions or comments, post them here and I'll do my best to answer.
User avatar
Makoto
BBS Staff Member
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Lancer-X » Wed May 02, 2012 3:24 am

ooh, I have a question!

Given that School Days HQ can, like its predecessor Cross Days, interface with SOMCON, are there any plans to make these appliances available (e.g. through jlist) if there is sufficient demand? I'm sure any fan will agree that SOMCON is instrumental to enjoying the True School Days Experience.

Also, have 0verflow given any indication of whether their company has survived releasing Shiny Days after disappointing sales of their 3 DVD monstrosity that probably cost an awful lot more to make than many of the games that outsold it last month?
嗚呼、素晴らしきエロゲー世界
Latest review: 創世奇譚アエリアル
User avatar
Lancer-X
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 2802
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Nandemonai » Wed May 02, 2012 3:49 am

0verflow has already announced that Shiny Days is it, that's all there is and there ain't gonna be no more. That happened ... a few months back?
Nandemonai
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 5663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Malbolge

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Lancer-X » Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 am

Nandemonai wrote:0verflow has already announced that Shiny Days is it, that's all there is and there ain't gonna be no more. That happened ... a few months back?

Reread the announcement- it was conditional on how well Shiny Days sold. Given that it didn't sell super well (from what I can tell- getchu isn't always representative) I just want to know if that clinches it for 0verflow.

I'm playing Pure Mail at the moment and it really is sad to see how far 0verflow have fallen since 2004 or whenever SD first came out. The production values of their games may have skyrocketed, but everything else..
嗚呼、素晴らしきエロゲー世界
Latest review: 創世奇譚アエリアル
User avatar
Lancer-X
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 2802
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby DarkFusion » Wed May 02, 2012 6:37 am

Lancer-X wrote:I'm playing Pure Mail at the moment and it really is sad to see how far 0verflow have fallen since 2004 or whenever SD first came out. The production values of their games may have skyrocketed, but everything else..


So I take it that game's good; should we ask for that assuming School Days sells well?
User avatar
DarkFusion
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:01 am
Location: Houston, Tx, United States

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Makoto » Wed May 02, 2012 6:40 am

Lancer-X wrote:ooh, I have a question!

Given that School Days HQ can, like its predecessor Cross Days, interface with SOMCON, are there any plans to make these appliances available (e.g. through jlist) if there is sufficient demand? I'm sure any fan will agree that SOMCON is instrumental to enjoying the True School Days Experience.

Also, have 0verflow given any indication of whether their company has survived releasing Shiny Days after disappointing sales of their 3 DVD monstrosity that probably cost an awful lot more to make than many of the games that outsold it last month?


SOMCON units are probably too expensive and too heavy for us to carry, but we'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. Is there one particular unit you would recommend for the true School Days experience?

I'm afraid I can't speak to 0verflow's financial situation.
User avatar
Makoto
BBS Staff Member
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Lipp » Wed May 02, 2012 10:04 am

DarkFusion wrote:
Lancer-X wrote:I'm playing Pure Mail at the moment and it really is sad to see how far 0verflow have fallen since 2004 or whenever SD first came out. The production values of their games may have skyrocketed, but everything else..


So I take it that game's good; should we ask for that assuming School Days sells well?


edit: scratch that, thought you were talking about Shiny Summer Days.
Lipp
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:01 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Yirba » Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Makoto wrote:The second will be an original rubber keychain. The design has yet to be finalized, but we are confident that fans of the School Days anime will appreciate it.


"Nice Boat". Calling it.

Oh, the English language version of School Days HQ is compatible with SOMCON? Not entirely sure how it works, but… sounds… interesting?

Anyway, Pure Mail sounds cool, but I'd be more interested in a release of Shiny Days.

Wonder if Tear Mail is still happening…
Image
User avatar
Yirba
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 pm
Location: London

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby michelous » Sun May 13, 2012 1:44 am

i hope it comes out within the next month or 2
my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Hakelous please rate and comment my videos
Image
User avatar
michelous
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: secret underground base

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Lipp » Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 am

michelous wrote:i hope it comes out within the next month or 2

Based on what they've said on twitter it looks like they're aiming to make it the Anime Expo release
Lipp
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:01 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Hanyuu » Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 pm

The recent posts on the Twitter feed say that they're assembled the golden master, and all that's left is to double check to make sure something hasn't gone horribly, horribly wrong. I see no reason they shouldn't make the AX release at this point.
Hanyuu
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Kanna » Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 am

Okay, so first RC is on return to sender status.

While that's going on, what are your opinions on having a choice routemap as a walkthrough for a bonus? I was drafting these for testing, but stopped at chapter 01/episode 2 because my pen literally ran out of ink along with my sanity partway through. If the response is favourable I'll try to finish it in time for release.
Attachments
routemap_01-00_Page_2.png
SDHQ Ch01 Routemap
User avatar
Kanna
Sekai Project Staff
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Canada

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Lancer-X » Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 am

I imagine it would be pretty a pretty horrifying chart for the later chapters though!

Oh well; still not as bad as trying to chart France Shoujo.
嗚呼、素晴らしきエロゲー世界
Latest review: 創世奇譚アエリアル
User avatar
Lancer-X
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 2802
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Guest » Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Kanna wrote:While that's going on, what are your opinions on having a choice routemap as a walkthrough for a bonus?

That would be nice, if it's not spoiler-ridden.
User avatar
Guest
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Yirba » Tue May 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Yes, a routemap would be nice. I can imagine it gets much more complex later on…
Image
User avatar
Yirba
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 pm
Location: London

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Makoto » Fri May 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Just to let you guys know, the Collector's Edition is now up for preorder.

http://jastusa.com/blog/2012/05/18/scho ... -preorder/
User avatar
Makoto
BBS Staff Member
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby DarkFusion » Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Just made my preorder, thank you!
User avatar
DarkFusion
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:01 am
Location: Houston, Tx, United States

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby michelous » Fri May 18, 2012 6:27 pm

i dont want to spend an extra $20 for a mousepad and keychain
my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Hakelous please rate and comment my videos
Image
User avatar
michelous
OTAKU!
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: secret underground base

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby darkpally5 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Just bought the Collectors Edition, is there any guesses as to when it will be released?
darkpally5
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby Makoto » Mon May 21, 2012 4:05 am

We intend to send it for printing by the end of the month, so a couple of weeks after that if nothing goes wrong.
User avatar
Makoto
BBS Staff Member
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Re: School Days HQ official thread/FAQ

Postby ReMeDy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am

According to JAST's email newsletter, the game will be “shipping in the coming weeks, most likely around the end of June.”
User avatar
ReMeDy
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:01 am

PreviousNext

Return to English Bishoujo Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests