Banned-in-Canada Visual Novels

Discussion of English translated bishoujo games released by Peach Princess, G-Collections and other companies.

Re: Banned-in-Canada Visual Novels

Postby Corbane » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 am

Ah... that sucks. Well, considering I'm going to import from the US, that reassures me, but to know they treat that badly what they check - scratches everywhere , enough to make it unreadable?. Since it did pass, maybe you can fill a complain and get a refund?
Corbane

Postby Doddler » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Corbane wrote:Ah... that sucks. Well, considering I'm going to import from the US, that reassures me, but to know they treat that badly what they check - scratches everywhere , enough to make it unreadable?. Since it did pass, maybe you can fill a complain and get a refund?

I dunno, in most cases they won't even touch games, especially ones not in English, and judge entirely based on the packaging. I've got a lot of packages inspected and they've never gone so far as to bother breaking the shrink wrap on the packages. I know they have staff that will play adult dvds but I don't think they'll play games, although maybe they will for english ones? It seems pretty rare that they would want to actually further inspect something like that, and concerning that they would take such poor care of it.
Doddler

Postby Baldo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:11 pm

TDOMMX wrote:From this, I think it's safe to say the country of origin of a package is a key factor in whether a parcel is inspected or not

Not surprising at all, the same happens in Italy, videogames from the U.S. are barely noticed (besides slapping the import tax if the value is 22 euro or more :cry: ... ), ANY pricey stuff from East Asia, ESPECIALLY China, gets the (thorough) check, it's the reason I never ordered games from Play-Asia, for example...
If you are at work, DO NOT CLICK Baldo's LINKS!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Baldo
OTAKU!

Postby Jinnai » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:18 am

Doddler wrote:
Corbane wrote:Ah... that sucks. Well, considering I'm going to import from the US, that reassures me, but to know they treat that badly what they check - scratches everywhere , enough to make it unreadable?. Since it did pass, maybe you can fill a complain and get a refund?

I dunno, in most cases they won't even touch games, especially ones not in English, and judge entirely based on the packaging. I've got a lot of packages inspected and they've never gone so far as to bother breaking the shrink wrap on the packages. I know they have staff that will play adult dvds but I don't think they'll play games, although maybe they will for english ones? It seems pretty rare that they would want to actually further inspect something like that, and concerning that they would take such poor care of it.

I don't know. You have to go out of your way to damage a DVD that bad. The only one I've seen that badly damaged after a short period of time was one that was placed inside a coat pocket without any protection for a day.
Jinnai
OTAKU!

Postby Astraea127 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:04 pm

i just got back afew days ago, and went through the customs, reason was that we had dried food in our luggage. The customs officer went through the luggage, saw the eroge, but didn't do anything about it. However, she picked up Sekirei (the manga) and took a look at it because it had the "Warning: This material contains which may offend...etc." paper, then puts it back.

At the end, phew...glad everything went all right :D
Astraea127

Postby Peter Payne » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:33 am

One reason we sell the games by download is to avoid the issue with customs. It works nicely.
www.jlist.com -- you've
got a friend in Japan
Peter Payne
BBS Staff Member

Postby TDOMMX » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 am

Peter Payne wrote:One reason we sell the games by download is to avoid the issue with customs. It works nicely.

True enough. One of the reasons I started this thread was so that people could make an informed decision when trying to import titles into Canada - by letting them know ahead of time which titles would likely be seized if their parcel was opened for review, in case they wanted to avoid the issue entirely with a download edition.

Personally, I've had zero problems importing from the US, but I haven't had as much luck with Japanese imports. And, every single time problems came up, it was due to tasteless screenshot choices on the back of the package...

On that note, would it be possible for me to get a replacement insert for Figures of Happiness? I have the original pressing, and the back of the box is pretty trashy. The revised packaging shown on J-List looks much better, but physical copies are sold out (so I can't buy a replacement and sell my old one). I wouldn't mind a mailed insert or a high-resolution PSD / PDF / TIF that I could take to my local print shop...
This is TDOMMX signing out.
TDOMMX
Intermediate Member

Postby Jinnai » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:34 am

TDOMMX wrote:
Peter Payne wrote:One reason we sell the games by download is to avoid the issue with customs. It works nicely.

Personally, I've had zero problems importing from the US, but I haven't had as much luck with Japanese imports. And, every single time problems came up, it was due to tasteless screenshot choices on the back of the package...
Yea, I wish they wouldn't put them on the box art.
Jinnai
OTAKU!

Postby Peter Payne » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Hmm, pretty all the copies of that are gone. I'll see if any inserts are sitting around for any reason.
www.jlist.com -- you've
got a friend in Japan
Peter Payne
BBS Staff Member

Postby TDOMMX » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:05 am

Peter Payne wrote:Hmm, pretty all the copies of that are gone. I'll see if any inserts are sitting around for any reason.

Much appreciated. If you don't have any, like I said before, high-resolution digital copies I could take to my local print shop would do nicely. I'm pretty sure you have those on-hand seeing as the cover art has been updated on J-List to include Windows Vista / Windows 7 compatibility. Personally, I'd prefer layered / unflattened Photoshop files if they're available so I could customize them just a little (ie: touching up the white glow behind the Figures of Happiness logo).

I suppose I may as well add Crescendo to the list - the copy text on the back of my package does not match the copy text on the J-List boxart (that's part of the reason why I messaged you about my copy being a possible bootleg way, way back).
This is TDOMMX signing out.
TDOMMX
Intermediate Member

Previous

Return to English Bishoujo Game Discussions